Industry – Renewables & Environment
Employment Type – Full-time, Permanent
Location – Belgium, initially home-based
Job Function – Project Management, Electrical Estimation/Surveying
Zenobē Energy was established to enable the transition to full zero carbon, non-polluting power, and transport systems through the intelligent use of energy storage.
The company has established itself as a UK market leader in battery storage, with 73MW of operational grid-scale battery capacity and is now a leading firm in the financing and provision of turnkey solutions for heavy duty electric vehicle fleets with over 100 electric buses in operation across 6 metropolitan areas. The company has been consistently innovative since its founding in 2017, with major industry firsts in software development, market access, financing, and solution provision. It is backed by leading strategic energy storage investors and is uniquely positioned to meet customer demands with innovative solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment and help build up a new and exciting business in Benelux. Both energy storage and electric vehicles are two of the fastest growing and dynamic sectors globally. You will be directly contributing to the Energy Transition, supporting the roll-out of renewable energy across Benelux as well as the electrification of the fossil-fuel based vehicle fleet.
Our current and planned activities in the Benelux region are as follows:
- We have several contracted or in-development small-scale BESS projects (Battery Energy Storage Systems) and are actively monitoring tenders for EV projects.
- We have taken a substantial minority shareholder position in a 2nd life BESS integrator based on the Netherlands and wish to work very closely together in future
- We are in discussions with a local infrastructure fund around forming a potential joint venture to develop future EV and BESS projects together.
We are looking for an experienced Project Manager/Electrical Estimator to be first person on the ground to drive delivery of our current opportunities. This role will report into the General Manager Benelux . The role would preferably be based in Belgium though we would consider a base in Netherlands. In either case, regular travel between the two countries would be expected, subject to tax residency regulations. Candidates must be fluent in English and in Dutch as well (other languages would be a bonus, especially French is highly desirable).
A TASTE OF THE DAY TO DAY
You’d be part of the starting team in the Benelux. In this exciting dual role you’d be responsible for delivery of our current projects as well as provide technical pricing support to the business development team for new projects. The focus between these two activities will vary from time to time, however the priority will be on successful delivery of 1 on-going and 2 upcoming projects. Over time the role will allow you to specialise in one of the activities as we grow the team on the ground.
- Lead projects from development and sales handover to client and O&M handover.
- Responsible for specific projects design, construction, commissioning incl. day-to-day project management.
- Responsible for ensuring that the site you are responsible for are operating in line with latest Health and Safety regulations
- Manages projects from inception to completion ensuring they are delivered on-time, within scope and budget and to the agreed design.
- Review all project documents and information provided by a client/sub-contractor throughout the design process
- Prepare a detailed project budget, which needs to be closely monitored throughout the life of the project
- Manages and supervises subcontractors’ PoW and scope
- Responsible for ensuring that the site you are responsible for is operating in line with latest Health and Safety regulations
- Ensure appropriate availability and allocation of resources as well as prepare weekly, and monthly progress reports both internally and for clients.
- Capture and report on any budget variations internally
- Responsible for the handover of the project to the internal O&M team.
- Liaise with sub-contractors to get quotes, challenge them and identify risks to be managed as well as cost savings opportunities
- Identify opportunities to improve best practices within the organisation.
Electrical Estimation / Surveying
The role will cover estimating costs, conducting surveys to understand client requirements and using your experience to create Request for Tender Documents from subcontractors that cover the design and installation of our EV fleet projects. The day to day tasks may also include:
- Visit current and prospective job sites to develop strong relationships with the client, build confidence and evaluate the work required to meet their requirements as well as any potential risks.
- Support the initial design creation for projects during the bidding phase to create the most competitive proposal for our customers
- Examine particulars of a job to determine the kind and time period of work necessary for a project.
- Develop estimates as a basis for subcontractor tender requests
- Identify opportunities to reduce risk, or cost, or delivery time in proposals
- Create project plans from estimates, and define tasks, schedules, and necessary personnel.
- Assist in the engineering technical solutions to overcome potential issues
- Understanding the selection and application of LV equipment.
- Liaise with Distribution Network Operators (DNO’s) by applying for capacity increases or understand any grid constraints
- Liaise with equipment manufacturers to better understand products coming to market
- Assist Business Development team in creating bidding and proposal documentation.
- Be able to carry out tender take-offs in order to support pricing by the business development team
- Liaising with sub-contractors, and suppliers, and negotiate and use expertise to estimate costs.
- Making changes to layouts using design software such as CAD or Sketchup
- Identify opportunities to improve best practices within the organisation.
- Help prepare Request for Tender documentation and route questions to the appropriate member of the team, track queries and answers consistently during the process
- Work closely with the Delivery Team to ensure a smooth handover of all information from sales through to construction
- Confer with subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers, and negotiate and use local expertise to estimate costs.
A BIT ABOUT YOU
- A genuine passion in business and our social and environmental mission.
- 3+ years’ experience in the construction of EV charging and/or EV and/or energy and/or storage projects and/or industrial scale HV/LV electrical projects (e.g. data centres)
- Knowledge of the Benelux (or one or more of its sub-regions) EV and/or public transport and/or construction and/or energy landscape
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel) and MS Project or equivalent project mgt tools such as Asana, etc.
- Strong knowledge of H&S and Environmental regulations for design and construction, Quality standards and industry best practice, Mandatory SMSTS ticket.
- Good understanding of construction build progress
- Experience in a tendering environment
- Must have an electrical engineering background, LV and/or HV
- Demonstrable experience in estimating costs and conducting surveys of prospective sites
- Able to demonstrate client-facing and stakeholder management experience
- Fully proficient with measuring and reading electrical drawings
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Pragmatic, proactive and solution driven
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects at once
- Ability to be flexible with working locations which will be a combination of working from home, an office and client sites to conduct surveys and estimates
- Full Driving License
Desirable but non-essential skills:
- Electrical engineering knowledge, particularly relating to grid-scale power electronics or battery technology and operation
- Previous experience in a client-facing role
- Ability to use CAD or other design software
- Network Management/ Network Engineering
- Corporate Health and Safety Management (IOSH)
- 17th and/or 18th Edition Electrical qualification
- Previous experience working on renewable energy, industrial power supply, electrical HV connections or electric vehicle charging projects
- Experience building bid libraries to improve our bids in tenders on an ongoing basis
We have an open, honest, and trusting culture here at Zenobē. Apart from the unparalleled opportunity to be at the forefront of the Net Zero revolution we are proud of the culture we have built.
A competitive remuneration package is available along with an in-country specific benefits package.
OUR APPROACH TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Zenobē is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership pregnancy /maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, political beliefs and sexual orientation. Our culture values meritocracy, openness, fairness, and transparency.